Friday, May 15, 2009

The Difference Between Reality and Wishes - Can You Tell The Difference?

I'm having a bit of a quandary, and I would like to share a couple of interesting statements with you that I heard a couple days ago.

The first is, "If I could just have a few more hours in my day, every day, I could get done everything I want to get done."

And the second is, "My life is perfect, I don't want to change a thing."

Would you believe both of these statements came from one person? And did so within just moments of each other - almost in the same breath.

My question is, which one is the truth? Which one is a better reflection of that individual's current reality?

If you ask me, one is their current reality and the other is their dream. The question is which is which. The funny thing is that had I asked the individual I was talking to, I'm sure our answers would have been different.

Unfortunately, when I talk to new clients or perspective clients I get statements so much like these - complete contradictions. Everything in their life is great, but at the same time it isn't. In their minds, both statements are completely true and they've managed to convince themselves that believing two opposing statements to be true as something normal.

Let's face it - nothing is perfect. And if something or someone does manage to get close, you can count on the fact that it won't last long. The only thing you can count on in the life is that everything will change - and even perfection will fade to imperfection.

If you don't believe me, ask anyone who has a "perfect" life, and you will see that it is either a facade or they are working very hard to keep it that way.

I'm not judging the statements or making any presumptions about the individual that made them. I would never presume to know what anyone needs or what they should do. But I will tell you that until they perceive these two statements as completely contradictory, they will never truly have either.

The key in creating the life you want is first seeing reality as it is - now as you want it to be. And when you finally do see it as it is, the next big step is realizing that you can not solve a problem or change a situation with the same thought process that you had when you created it.

What does all that mean? If you want to change your circumstance in life - change who you are, and everything around you will follow. Change how you look at your situation, and you will begin to change the situation. Begin by being who and what you want to be, and the reality will follow you.

Bottom line, if you have a perfect life, congratulations. I hope you are working hard to keep it. But if there is anything that you want to improve - regardless of what it is - then take action. And do so, within yourself to begin with.

So if you feel this contradiction in your life or hear yourself saying these words - stop and think long and hard - which answer is really the truth and which is your dream. And if you decide to make a change, look first in the mirror and change what you see in the reflection - don't change the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment