Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Why Blog

I wrote a blog / article about a month ago, called "Why Twitter?" about the social media tool Twitter and why I think it is something worth investigating for many of the people I know. This blog, is both an independent stand alone piece, and at the same time an extension of that other blog about Twitter.

This story is about Blogging itself, why I do it, and why you should too.

What Is A Blog?

For those of you who don't know, but were afraid to ask, BLOG is short for Web Logs. And the truth is, they have nearly as many purposes as there are blogs themselves. People blog for self expression, to make money, and to document who they are and what they've done / currently doing. They blog to stay in touch with friends and family, to save their ideas, to motivate others to take action, to entertain, and to influence others to take action or to influence how they think.

But why others blog isn't nearly as important as why you should blog.

Why Should You Blog?

If you do a search on Google, "Why Blog?", there over 192,000,000 results. So there is very little reason for me to write another blog on blogging, but to be honest with you, that's precisely why I choose to do it.

My answer to this question is simpler than all the rest that I have read - the reason you should Blog is simply because YOU matter.

Many write blogs to gain fame, fortune, power, notariety or for a cause they believe in. And you can do it for any of those reasons if that's what drives you. But many I talk to don't want those things, and therefor think the blogosphere isn't for them.

In my opinion, nothing could be further from the truth.

Blog because your life is unique.

Because your experiences on this earth are one of a kind.

Because your stories and ideas are an intricate part of the weave of our society.

And whether or not you recognize it, no one ever again will live the life that you have lived and gained the life perspective that you have gained.

So, if you don't capture the elements of YOU that make you who YOU are, then very likely, your stories will die and fade with the memories of you.

Why I Blog

One of the most influential books in my life was a book by Kent Nerburn, Letters To My Son. It's not a complex book or even a great book, but the idea behind the book has made a lasting impression on me that I find continually drawing me to write my story, my ideas.w

The basis for Nerburn's book was a series of letters that he wrote to his son that in his absense (should that have happened), there would be a collection of letters which explained the knowledge and wisdom he gained through life, but for one reason or another was unable to pass along.

As I sit here and write this blog, and every blog that I have written thus far, I do it for posterity. I do it for those who will follow me and want to know what I felt and what I thought about different the world I lived in. I write it so that my son, my daughter, their children and their children's children will understand where they came from and WHO they came from.

I do it so that my thoughts, dreams and vision for the future are captured for whomever cares to read them - whether it be you, my son, my daughter, and even me, sometime in the future.

I may have a theme that defines my blog, "Helping Others Achieve Their Dreams In Business and Their Lives", but there is no mistaking it, my life is blended into each of the stories I write. My life story is being written out in the words that I include in this blog.

My stories, may be actively read today or may sit dorment for 10 years, 30 years, or maybe even 150 years, but somewhere, someday, someone may find them and simply enjoy them for what they are, the memoirs and rantings of someone who wanted to make a positive difference in this world.

Don't Write It For The Readers - Do It For YOU

This might not make sense to many, but writing for others is one of the biggest reasons that people who start to blog. But also the same reason that most people quit. They write to attract others - to gain money, power, influence or recognition. Unfortunately, though, because of the vastness of the "blogosphere", they discouraged that no one is reading - that no one is finding their stories and they eventually quit.

Don't write for others - even though you might be writing to others. WRITE FOR YOURSELF. Write because of the story you have to tell, not because you are worried about who is reading or listening.

Sure, you may get a great following, and even gain the money, power, influence and recognition you seek, but it's very important to recognize that when it comes to blogging and / or writing, the best, most heart felt words come from those who do it as much for the process as for the result.

How To Get Started

If you are interested in starting a blog, there are many ways to do so, and thousands of experts that are standing by to tell you the BEST way. But don't get overwhelmed. There any many very simple site and / or books that will walk you through the process.

The best book I've found for the basic user is:

Blogging for Dummies

And the best website available to help you walk through the process with no "bias" towards any specific product is:

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Blog

------

Good Luck in your adventure. And if you do start a blog. Please come back to here and let me know. I'd love to hear about it, read what you have to say, and maybe even contribute a comment or two to your story.

1 comment:

  1. One of the most sincere, honest expressions of why we blog that I have read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete