Sunday, September 6, 2009

We All Endure Tough Times

We all go through tough times. It doesn't matter if you are a professional athlete, a movie star, a business coach, a stay-at-home Mom or even the CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

We give up on our dream . . . We fall out of love . . . We, or someone very close to us, gets diagnosed with an incurable disease . . . Or we simply lose our vision - the future we hope to have.

In spite of the immense struggle these life changing events can create for us, they do not define us. Nor do they define anyone else on this earth.

..........................

Viktor Frankl was not defined by his captivity in Nazi Germany.



However, his resiliency and ability to survive did define him.

...........................

Hellen Keller was not defined by the childhood disease that took away her sight, hearing, and ability to speak.


She was for the gifts and ideas
she has given the world
in spite of her disabilities.

...........................

Christopher Reeve was not defined by his tragic horse jumping accident.

He will be remembered for his will to survive and be a role model for thousands who suffered spinal injuries like his own.

............................

A lesson that I have had to personally re-learn is:

No matter what difficulties you might face, no matter how hard things may seem, others have faced similar problems. Some choose to let the struggles dominate their lives and let those moments define the rest of their lives.

While others, those we call tend to call "Heroic" and "Inspirational", choose a different path. Rather than giving in to the circumstances which they faced, they stood up (sometimes even when they didn't have the strength to do so), and took the first step of the rest of their lives towards the dreams they have - towards the life they choose. Not the one that choose them.

Maybe, someday I'll be looked at as inspirational, but that's not why I choose to move forward. I choose to move forward because I choose to make my dreams come true - to be the person that I want to be, not the one that many others have thought I should be . . . or the one that life is / was steering me to become.

Thank you all who are reading this blog. I have been away for a month or so - lost in my own world. I hope that you find your way back to reading my ideas and thoughts again in the coming days, weeks and months.

Bless You.


4 comments:

  1. JJ, You are already inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ great post it gave me goose pumps, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gloria, Jan and Wendy, Thanks for the support. Each of you have been so supportive and I so appreciate it.

    JJ

    ReplyDelete