Monday, August 3, 2009

A Day of Reflection

There are many special days in our lives, Birthdays (especially our own), our Wedding Day, the Day we graduate from High School or College, our 1st day of a new job, the day we turn 40, 50, 60 and beyond (I can only speculate the 50 and beyond, since I'm not quite there), and the passing of a dear friend or relative.

These are all important days in our lives, because they are the days that cause us to reflect on and take inventory of our lives - looking at what we've done in our past, who we are today, and of course, where we are going.

Today, was one of those such days for me - my Birthday.

It was a day that was filled with challenges and joy. Challenges of work, solving the problems and complexities that life presents me - truly my passion is looking at problems and trying to find solutions. And the joy of being surrounded by my loving family that accept me for who I am and love me simply for being me.

Birthdays, for many (myself included) tend to be milestone days. Like January 1st, we all look at the passing of another year and look at what we have accomplished and what we have yet still to do.

I recently took my kids to see the movie "Up!" And like many adults that I've spoken to, I was amazed as I sat in the theater and found myself moved far more than my children.

The story in "Up!" revolves around an elderly gentleman (voice by Ed Asner) who seeks to accomplish his youthful dreams after his lifelong partner and wife passes away. The journey that he goes on is nothing short of spectacular and is far beyond anything you might expect.

The beauty and simplicity of the storyline will touch you in a very personal way - as it as every one I have spoken to. For me, the moral the moral was simple:

"Life is what happens to you while you are trying to achieve your dreams. And whether you actually achieve the specifics of your dreams or not, by being the person of your dreams every minute of your life - starting NOW, you will live the life that you have always dreamed of having."

Needless to say, I am still on my journey - and look forward to that journey lasting many more years. But I'm not going to wait for someday to be who I want to be. I'm going to be that person today and do my best to live the words of the immortal James Dean,

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."

Are you ready to join me?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. Thanks! And Happy Birthday to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought provoking as always. A wonderful reminder of the necessity of evaluating our lives and then taking the steps that will move us to our dreams. And most importantly enjoying every day of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday, sorry I missed it until now!!!

    Hope you are doing well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete